Saturday, June 29, 2013

Inks and Ribbon 101!

It's Tammy Louise posting today and I wanted to test out some of my ink on some of the Really Reasonable Ribbon called Silky Crush White Ribbon.  I've seen people stamp on ribbon and have always wondered which of my inks would work and just how much bleeding would occur with each of them?
So instead of a tutorial, per say, I'm going to share some of the results with you.  I guess what I've decided is that until you try something new, you'll never know what's possible REGARDLESS what the label on the ink says!  
First, I cut a small section of the ribbon and got a butterfly stamp out to try four different types of ink. I challenged Momento, Stazon, Indian Ink, and Versafine.  Here is how it worked!

Let's learn ink 101 together today!  Momento is a water based dye ink, this means that it can be used on most papers but as it is water based, any added water will encourage it to bleed or blend out.  BOY DOES IT EVER! 
Stazon ink is a fast drying solvent ink that is recommended for non porous surfaces such as metal, plastic, glass, ceramic etc.  However, it did leave a crisp outline on the ribbon around the stamp image. 

Indian Ink is archival and fade resistant ink IS SUPPOSEDLY for non smearing, the label says it's a quick drying dye ink perfect for use with markers and watercolors, however, there was a considerable amount of bleading on the ribbon with this ink.  

Versafine ink is an opaque pigment ink for finer details.  This is oil based and water resistant and did actually turn out the best of all four images with crisp detail and NO bleeding with really rich dark color.  
This is the versafine ink
This is the India Ink
This is the Stazon Ink
The big brown blob at the bottom is the Momento Ink!  Yuck!

My intention was to apply a subtle amount of Distress Ink to some of the areas of the stamped image so I colored some ink on my pad and added water until the desired color was accomplished.  

After applying color, I dried with my heat gun in between each application, some of the areas where too much water was applied, the ink did still do some running but not more than acceptable amounts.
Sneak peek of the girl card!
 more on my blog.  

I used some adorable buttons from Really Reasonable Ribbon Store called Cherries Jubilee and Blueberry Pie from Color Blends Buttons Galore and the twine on the girl card is the Baker's Twine Peppermint, on the boy card, I used the Twinery Caribbean.  The Design Paper is Recollections "Itsy Bitsy Ditsy Cherry Pie and Aqua Screen.  
I just so happened to have the Inkadinkado boy stamp set as well, and couldn't resist showing you a sneak of this as well!
Thanks for joining me today and I hope you give this technique a try, it was simple and really quick to do!
Hugs,

3 comments :

  1. Great cards Tammy and I have to say I'm surprised at your ink test results. Good news is I have lots of Versafine ink pads on hand. :) Thanks so much for taking the time to test the different ink types and sharing your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!!. Really nice to know the difference without trying out each one myself. Have printed this for future reference. Edna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great info to know!! It's been a while since I stamped on ribbon. Thanks for the info and inspiration!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say