Saturday, August 2, 2014

Custom Dyed Seam Binding with Really Reasonable Ribbon

RRR Tute Aug 2 03

Custom Dyed Seam Binding Tutorial for RRR

Hello, Friends! I have a simple tutorial to share with you today. While working with the Come Away with Me collection from G45, I had a hard time finding ribbon in my stash that really matched the papers. When this happens, I never panic. I just get out my favorite Cream Seam Binding from Really Reasonable Ribbon and make my own custom dyed seam binding. It's quick, easy and very fun. 

 RRR Tute Aug 2 01 

I cut a 3 foot length of my cream seam binding, then I spritzed it with Tattered Angels Patina Glimmer Mist. Just a few spritzes is all it takes. Then, I scrunched my ribbon all up, working that beautiful blue all through it. Next, I used my heat gun to dry it....and kept on scrunching that ribbon...just like you do when you are drying your hair with a blow dryer and mousse! LOL When the ribbon was dry. I put one little spritz of Cranberry Tattered Angels mist onto my craft sheet and tapped the ribbon in this randomly. I didn't want a lot of cranberry...just a dot here and there. I dried it again and then added it to my project. Wanna see? 

RRR Tute Aug 2 02 

Using the glimmer mist adds a nice shine to the seam binding. This little journal is one I picked up at the thrift store and altered with the Come Away with Me papers. It will make a great Christmas gift for someone! I painted the edges of the journal with Tattered Rose Distress Paint and then tapped it with Tsukineko Walnut Stain. I even tapped the wire binding with Distress Paint. Everything is matted with chocolate brown card stock to keep all those patterns from competing with one another. I ran a tiny bit of my favorite Natural Jute String through the ends of the chipboard tag, too. 
 
RRR Tute Aug 2 04


I built pockets on the inside to hold photos or other memorabilia.

RRR Tute Aug 2 06 

The title page is also decorated with room for a little note and some more jute string. 

RRR Tute Aug 2 07 

Another pocket inside the back cover. 

RRR Tute Aug 2 08 

And the back cover, too. I meant to take a before/after photo, but you'll have to take my word for it....this journal got a major facelift! Now I love it, and I hope you do, too! 

RRR Tute Aug 2 09 

I love working with seam binding so much that I always keep it at hand. It ties beautiful bows, and now you know how to create custom dyed seam binding, too! Thanks for stopping by! Until next time...

Cheerio,

kathy

7 comments :

  1. This is so very pretty! I love it. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, ladies! I love making these little books, and they make wonderful gifts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Beautiful work Kathy!! Love this!!!! :)
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful book Kathy... love Graphic 45 too :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say